Entrepreneurship on Line

Aiming for skilled entrepreneurs.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Maxwell's Leadership Myth #4: The Pioneer Myth

John C. Maxwell, pp. 15-16 of The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Follow Them and People Will Follow You, (Nelson Books, 1998), says:
Another misconception is that anyone who is out in front of the crow is a leader. But being first isn't always the same as leading...To be a leader, a person has to not only be out front, but also have people intentionally coming behind him, following his lead, and acting on his vision.
Many years ago, coming to the elevator in an office building in Indianapolis, Indiana, on my way up to a client meeting, I saw several men in suits standing in front of the elevator, talking intently among to each other. I pushed the up button and waited.

A bell tinged the elevator's arrival. I got on and held the door so they could get on. They continued talking as if I weren't even there.

I motioned, but still no move toward me.

I said in a loud voice, "You can get on now."

One, startled, said, "Oh, we're not going up." So much for me leading that group.

What do you think of this? The goal is to produce more skilled entrepreneurs. Is this helpful? Post a comment. I'd like to know. And follow me on Twitter.com.

Entrepreneurship informs all of my professional activities. Entrepreneurial ideas are their life's blood. For my ideas on entrepreneurial real estate go to www.yourstopforrealestate.com/blog and for my ideas on writing and publishing, go to www.kearneymusicschoolmurders.blogspot.com.

1 Comments:

Blogger Timotheus said...

Your view on Maxwell is interesting. I especially enjoyed your post on the EF Hutton Law! I am currently trying to write a critique for Maxwell's logic, that's how stumbled unto your blog. Also, the post on LLC's were informative.

Thanks!
Keep writing.

January 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home