Entrepreneurship on Line

Aiming for skilled entrepreneurs.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Market

I found an article on "market" in my grab bag. This is kind of interesting.

The term market has a double meaning. It means a "space" in which buyers and sellers interact. That's a market, i.e. the "real estate market," the "automobile market," the "stock market, the "bond market," that place is a "meat market," blah blah blah.

To market used to mean "to go shopping," as in "I'll go to the market." The food store or food market. You still find that once in a while.

Sometimes I would encounter this when I was cold calling and asked for the director of marketing and the receptionist would hand me off the head of the purchasing department. The first time this happened I wondered why they did that, but it dawned on me they had an older definition of marketing in their minds than I did.

There's a big bunch of stuff written about markets. If I just think about a market being a place with buyers and sellers, I'll be okay.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home