Entrepreneurship on Line

Aiming for skilled entrepreneurs.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Covey on the Economics of Trust

Covey on p.13 of The Speed of Trust. The One Thing that Changes Everything (New York: Free Press, 2006), gives two formulas that he says takes the intangible and unquantifiable to the tangible and quantifiable.

His assumption is that trust affects two outcomes: speed and cost. According to Covey's formulas,

As trust diminishes, the speed of transactions goes down and the cost up.
As trust increases, the speed of transactions goes up and the cost down.

So, trust is positively related to speed and negatively related to cost.

I saw this disgustingly documented when I was practicing real estate in Philadelphia. In the mid-200s, we had transactions moving along briskly. Fast forward to 2008, the speed of transactions had dropped by a factor of 2 to 3, and the cost of transactions in terms of time and money has increased dramatically. So based on the amount of sales you needed would have taken you 2-3 times as long to realize. The sales you would normally do in a year would take you 2-3 years to achieve.

Why? Trust had washed out of the system.

Entrepreneurship is the life's blood of all my professional activities. It makes them go. It informs my connection strategy. For my ideas on connection strategy, go to my new blog www.Connecting.blogspot.com.

It makes Your Stop for Real Estate , my real estate referral business, go. See www.yourstopforrealestate.blogspot.com.

It powers my writing go. For my ideas on writing go to www.kearneymusicschoolmurders.blogspot.com where you can read my mystery for free, download it for free or buy it from Amazon.com more cheaply than you can print it.

It fuels my publishing enterprise, By and for Writersgo. See www.byandforwriters.blogspot.com where you can get a poem or a short story published.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home