Entrepreneurship on Line

Aiming for skilled entrepreneurs.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Entrepreneurial Seizure

Michael Gerber forcefully argues that the vast majority of businesses are not started by entrepreneurs, they're started by technicians who were stricken by an "entrepreneurial seizure." (The E-Myth Revisited; Why Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It. New York: Harper Business, 1995, pp. 11-12.) Further on p. 12, he goes on to say, "Inside your mind it sounded something like this:
'What am I doing this for? Why am I working for this guy? Hell, I know as much about the business as he does. If it weren't for me, he wouldn't have a business. Any dummy can run a business. I'm working for one.' And the moment you paid attention to what you were saying and really took it to heart, your fate was sealed.

The thought of independence followed you everywhere.

The idea of being your own boss, doing your own thing, singing your own song, became obsessively irresistible.

Once you were stricken with an Entrepreneurial Seizure, there was no relief.

You couldn't get rid of it.

You had to start your own business.
This is right on. I have to go back to my programmer guy who had been working for somebody for 7 years with no raise. Then the boss hired somebody else at a higher salary. The guy said exactly what Gerber said he said, and went out on his own.

My first business I started not because I hated my boss. I didn't hate her, but I didn't like working for somebody who was a monster one day and your best pal the next. Still, I thought it was the best option for me.

Did you do the same? Were you ever tempted to tell your boss to shove it and go it alone? I'd like to know. Share your experiences.

Entrepreneurship informs all of my professional activities. Entrepreneurial ideas are their life's blood. For my ideas on entrepreneurial real estate go to www.yourstopforrealestate.com/blog and for my ideas on writing and publishing, go to www.kearneymusicschoolmurders.blogspot.com

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home